Did you know that Thanksgiving is the single busiest time of year for residential plumbers? The big holiday meal preparation and cleanup can lead to excessive waste in the kitchen drain and garbage disposal. In addition, a house full of guests can put a strain on your plumbing system with the extra clothes washing, showers and toilet flushing. Thanksgiving is a perfect setting for a plumbing disaster to take place and means that customers will want any problems or emergencies addressed immediately. They expect dependable, quality, timely service every day, including holidays. North County Plumbing is on standby for you this Thanksgiving holiday season, 24 hours a day, for any emergencies that may arise.
Here are some tips to help your plumbing run smoothly during Thanksgiving so you can spend more time with your family:
1) If you are hosting Thanksgiving this year, consider having your drains and plumbing checked before the holiday to avoid Thanksgiving Day catastrophes.
2) Don’t put stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. This includes such items as poultry skins, celery, potato peels and fruit. These can not be broken down in a disposal and can cause clogs.
3) Be sure to run the water whenever you put food down the garbage disposal and turn it on. Also, do not wait until it is full before turning it on. Run lots of water as you use the disposal and keep water running for a little while after you turn it off.
4) Avoid pouring fats or cooking oils down the drains. They harden in pipes and drains and can create bad clogs. Use paper towels to wipe grease from pots and pans as an alternative. Toss the towels in the trash.
5) By using trashcans instead of kitchen sinks, drains and disposals, the life of your appliances will be prolonged. In addition, this significantly reduces the chances of your pipes and drains being clogged during the holiday.
6) If you are having guests stay with you, advise them to wait 15 minutes between showers to slow drains. This gives adequate time for hair and waste to move through your plumbing without backing up your pipes.
7) Be sure there are no cotton balls, hair, facial scrub pads or cotton swabs flushed down any of the toilets.
Still, even with these tips, things have a way of going wrong sometimes, even with the best of intentions. If any of these plumbing problems happen to you, call North County Plumbing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for all of your emergency plumbing needs!
Best wishes for a very Happy Thanksgiving!
North County Plumbing is located in Vista, California and has been in the service business since 1970 providing quality plumbing services including leak detection and drain service in northern San Diego County. Our qualified technicians are available 24 hours a day to help with emergency plumbing repair services… with no overtime charges!
If you found this blog helpful, you may want to check out our post “5 Common Plumbing Myths Exposed“.