Just like your car, the plumbing system in your home requires regular maintenance and upkeep to prevent costly repairs, and above all to improve the efficiency of the pipes and faucets in your home. Below are some tips to keep the plumbing in the main rooms of your home running smoothly.
- Run hot water down drains once a week to help keep them free-flowing.
- Repair leaky faucets asap to avoid further damage to the fixtures and faucets.
- Fit tubs and showers with strainers to catch hair and soap chips, and clean them regularly.
- Clean clogged shower heads by putting one cup of vinegar in a plastic bag and place it over the shower head. Hold it in place with a twist tie, leave it overnight, then remove the bag and wipe excess with a damp cloth.
- Your toilet is NOT a waste basket. Do NOT flush facial tissue, cotton balls, sanitary products or diapers as these items do not dissolve and can clog the plumbing lines. Keep a small trash can nearby to dispose of these items.
- When it comes to your garbage disposal avoid putting fibrous materials such as, poultry skins, carrots, celery or banana peels, etc. into the garbage disposer…avoid putting coffee grinds down the disposer too!
- After running the garbage disposer, run cold water for about 15 seconds to clear the line.
- Do NOT pour liquid grease down the drain. Dispose of cooled excess grease (safely) in the trash.
- Clean your garbage disposer by grinding ice cubes, a small amount of detergent, and citrus rinds in the disposer for about 30 seconds, then follow by running cold water for about 30 seconds to wash down excess debris.
- Inspect washing machine hoses for signs of wear and replace rubber hoses with stainless steel braided hoses as they last longer and are resistant to leaks and cracks.
- Use a strainer on your washing machine hose which can be purchased at your local hardware store.
- Install a flood alarm to warn of water leaking from the washing machine, water heater, or overflowing sinks.
- If your washing machine is old, consider replacing with a newer and more efficient front-load model.
Even with preventative maintenance, plumbing problems can and will arise. If the problem goes beyond your understanding call your local plumber immediately. Similar to trusting an auto mechanic to fix your car troubles, it’s best to leave plumbing problems to the experts to prevent further issues. North County Plumbing is here to assist you with professional and dependable plumbing service 24/7. Please contact us NOW!